Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bento Box


This is Hannah's lunch today. This morning I cooked one cup of the sticky rice in a Japanese double boiler type pot on the stove. After it cooled, I used a Hello Kitty mold, and then cut out the seaweed for the face. The bow and circle face are made out of cheddar cheese, and the "Cherry's" are Cherry tomatoes on a bed of salad. I threw in some cookies since this was her first time for this kind of lunch. There has been some anticipation build up around the lunch box, so hopefully with that and the peer pressure of her teachers and classmates, it will come home empty and she will have earned her afternoon sweet. I used the remaining rice to make myself a traditional triangle shape with tuna in the middle, and wrapped with seaweed. It is a good, filling, nutritious meal. I bought one at the grocery store this morning to compare the two, and even though there's is very fresh, mine tasted better!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats, Shawna. You are a foodie now. That's a beautiful plate. Who knew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! That's so cute. Your gonna get all Martha (Japanese style) on us. :)

    ReplyDelete