Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Things I have learned

The women who have ears pierced here have them pierced a little higher than we traditionally do ours in our first holes. I am told that ear piercing in general is a new thing for them. Tattoos are new for the general public as well. There is much taboo to get over because there are serious gangs that tattoo their whole bodies to signify their gangsterism. The bath houses have signs in Japanese and English that say "NO TATTOOS". Thank goodness I can cover up the one I have now.

The Japanese have cornered the market on cuteness. It is hard to find things that are not cute. Everyone young and old has "lucky charms" dangling from their phone or purse. It seems to be as necessary as a hand fan to keep the breeze going. Adam even bought him what I call a "man fan" which looks very Hawaiian and does not close up accordion style like mine does. Have I mentioned that I have not sweat this much since my all day sauna days at Gray Bear? I am told that Asians have a lower body temperature than us, which allows them to wear layers of clothes and even pants right now in the middle of all this heat!!! I have to believe it. My language tutor says Asians mouths are formed different from ours, which does not allow them to pronounce some of our letters.
Other than the Japanese, English speaking mothers from Hannah's school, Japanese people that I pass do not give me much attention and defiantly do not make eye contact. I understand this, because we don't give foreigners much attention in our country either. Also, Japan is the size of California, but has the population of the entire United States. It is just not possible with this many people to have that Southern hospitality that we are used to. However, everyone is very aware on the trains and buses that older people, and pregnant women get the sit down seats.
When you are receiving a business card from someone it is like they are giving you a gift. They use both their hands on the card, and bow to you. The culture here is extremely respectful. The hellos and goodbyes can be very long rituals. However there is no touching! No hugs, I have had very few handshakes. There is a "money plate" to lay your money in to give to any cashier. This is both respectful, and avoids hand contact with each other.
Japan is in love with America, and American music is what I hear playing in every store I go into. The English words that are printed on the clothing, cups, trash cans, etc here crack me up. They are philosophers and love to spread messages of hope and love. The children have to take English classes in Junior high. It is up to them after that point how much they absorb. The children as young as kindergarten walk to school by themselves! This is completely out of my comfort zone, but shows me how low the crime rate is here.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like some things are a lot different there! I hope you are all doing well and we miss you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With so many people, the "not touching" thing helps prevent the transmission of disease. It's seems so foreign to us not to touch. The cultural differences are so interesting. Lovely learning about it through you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need touch as much as sunshine and water, so everyone have your arms wide open when we come to visit, I will be in "hugging" mode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading the "american" signs over there too and the t-shirts with american words spelled incorrectly were great too. You should start a t-shirt collection! Hope you all are doing well, thanks for the posts, we enjoy reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to hug too so I will not want to let go I miss you my sweet wonderful children.
    Mama

    ReplyDelete