Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Shawna


I had my first rough week here. I am not complaining, my life is easier than ever now, I just had some emotions to sort through. After an hour acupressure/crainio-sacral massage, 3 1/2 hours of dancing, a bottle of wine, and a long salt bath I am back to normal. There is a community center/library at the end of my street, and I signed up for a Maui Hawaiian Dance class today. There were a dozen of us and they were all Japanese. They do not speak English, but Dance is a universal language, so I don't mind. I thought it might help me to learn the Japanese language, but when they all started talking I might have well as been in a Tyson chicken house, because it sounded like lots of cackling. Mostly they all just smiled and laughed, another universal language. One of them was able to say they liked my smile. The dance started with us all in a circle holding hands for an opening prayer and chant. I teared up during the singing because it was the Spiritual Ritual I had been craving. The dance style is so sweet and symbolic. I did understand them when they were counting out the moves 1,2,3 is ichi, ni, san...How funny it is for me that 2, and 3 are Ni San, since we are here working for Nissan!
Other than this I have been spending my time trying to get us Sumo tickets for end of September. Adam and I are seriously considering climbing Mt Fuji (tallest Mtn in Japan) next weekend. It takes about 8 hours to climb, and half that time to come down. Does anyone want a postcard sent from the top of the mountain? Also, I am planning a secret themed restaurant night for Adam and I to celebrate our anniversary. If it all works out, you won't want to miss that blog experience! Tomorrow I continue on with my tutor for language lessons.

I have talked for years about wanting to be more "green" living in my life for the planet, by recycling more, and being more in touch with community by walking instead of driving so the opportunity to say hello, or good morning is possible...well, I am living it now except now I say "konichiwa" or "ohio gozaimez".

4 comments:

  1. When you climb the mountain please be careful and yes I want a postcard I want you to teach me the dance when you get home sounds like fun. Shawna your smile is beautiful so if the language learning is slow count on your smile to get you where you need to be.
    Love you all
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma Grace said that you and Uncle Adam need to be careful and when you get to the top, DONT LOOK DOWN. We definately want a post card. PO BOX 11727, 37129

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want one! Go for it!
    1807 East Main Street, Murfreesboro, TN 37130 :)

    Glad you got in a dance class. That will help you feel more connected and grounded...and yes, hula is beautiful. You will do great with it! I bet all the women will want to be your friend next time. :) You can communicate a lot with your eye and that gorgeous smile.
    Glad the fog lifted quickly. :)
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there Shawna, I'm glad you were able to find some remedies to make you feel better. Hopefully the bad moments are outnumbered by all the good ones. Try and enjoy even the bad times because you will be back in the states before you know it and all you will have left of Japan is memories.

    ReplyDelete